Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Happy Gotcha Day Brutus!
Today 3 years ago I adopted Brutus. Here is a post from 2009 talking about the mistakes I made during the 1st year.
I didn't post about it last year, not sure why. I am excited about his Gotcha Day this year. I'm thankful to Brutus and especially to KPR for allowing a novice dog owner a chance. I knew very little about dogs when I adopted Brutus. Sure I had read about pugs but having one is a totally different story.
Brutus has changed my life and me in many ways. I've lived with Cats all of my life and they are loving wonderful creatures but dogs love in a different way. They are so loving and loyal. They just want to please, cats, not so much. Even Brutus at times doesn't care if he pleases, which is one reason I love him.
Here are some of the things I love about Brutus.
1. The way he acts when I get home when he is actually awake, all excited as if he hadn't seen me in weeks.
2. The way he loves to sleep and sometimes when I come home he is so asleep he doesn't wake up when I come home. So I get to gently walk over and get down close to him and gently pet him as he wakes up.
3. The way he gets so excited when it's dinner time and barks at me to hurry to feed him.
4. The way he snores and sounds when he's asleep.
5. The way he is so gentle with Miley even when she is annoying him and I can tell he is annoyed. He just takes it and doesn't lash out at her.
6. The look on his face when he is sitting and waiting for a treat or when he hears me say "do you want to go for a ride in the car".
7. His confidence. He is not afraid of anyone, anything, not even the vacuum. He walks right up to larger dogs, people, etc and greets them. He even ignores people and other dogs at times because he has other things he wants to do.
8. The way he wanders off during meet ups or anywhere out doors and does his own thing. Isn't he suppose to want to be part of the pack?
9. The way he will eat food on the mat instead of the food dish first to clean up and then go to the food dish. Does he have OCD?
10. The way he holds his stuffie toy in his mouth and looks at me when he's ready to play.
In addition to things I love about Brutus, there are other things he's given me.
I've met many wonderful people through meet ups! I don't know how I ended up part of the Indy Bloggers but I can't even put into words how wonderful it's been to get to know everyone and their pugs.
Because I walk Brutus and Miley, I now know almost all of my neighbors and the neighborhood kids.
I remember when I was first going to adopt Brutus people would ask me why would I adopt an older dog. For starters I just have a soft spot for older dogs. I can't imagine being taken away from my family at an older age (or any age). I also don't have the lifestyle for a younger active dog (Miley is the outlier there oh how I do love my baby girl). I just though my house fit an older dog better, as I have no kids, it's quiet here and I"m a TV junkie. I thought it was a nice quiet place for an older dog.
As I look back now I've had Brutus for 3 years. Yes that's a short time but I wouldn't change it at all. In that short time Brutus has given me more than I can ever give him. I hope I've made him half as happy an he's made me.
Happy Gotcha Day Brutus! I love you my old man!