Friday, July 9, 2010

Lilly RIP Favorite girl in the world







My pretty Lilly passed away today. Last week I noticed she had lost some muscle mass and was not quite as active. For some reason even then I knew she was dying. I can't explain it but I just knew. She went to the vet on Monday. Bloodwork revealed liver failure. She went into the vets for two days for fluids and antibiotics but it was too late. I was able to bring her home for a day but this morning when I got up and looked at her, I knew. I took her in this afternoon to help her cross over. I miss her already. I had never had to put a pet to sleep until today. I was glad to be there with her in the end but this really hurts. I brought her body home and put her in a grave I had dug. She's buried in the yard out by the lilly flowers I have.

I've only had Lilly for 4 years. I had adopted her from a lady in town who was moving. Lilly had a princess complex and was very moody and had an attitude much of the time. I still loved her though and sometimes loved her because of her snarky meows and hisses. She had a pretty pink nose, I loved the way she would rub her face on things, and I thought her meow was the most beautiful I had ever heard. I sometimes got the feeling that whatever her kittenhood was like, it wasn't as wonderful as it should have been. I remember when I went to pick her up when I adopted her I had asked what kind of toys she liked. The lady said she never played. Turns out Lilly did play. She would roll a purple ball around the house and at times pick it up with her mouth.

I've done a lot of crying the past week. The whole concept of death is very messy and sad. I cry because I will miss her. I cry because I wonder if she knew how much I loved her. I cry because I hope she had a good life with us. I'd like to think she enjoyed her life here. The house has been mighty quite without her around. She was very vocal and often chatted with me. I hope to bring out that quality in a couple of the other cats around here.

I hope she is up there rolling on the concrete and basking in the sun. I will miss you my favorite girl in the world.
video

13 comments:

  1. We are sorry for your loss -

    We are proud you were there when you let her go - I always advocate that to those that can handle it -

    It is the final gift of love you can give them -

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra and Her Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures of Lilly & I'm so very sorry she is gone. Although you obviously have other cats, there is nothing like a female cat for companionship....just like most of us women, they usually talk a bit more than the guys. Thanks for posting the video. As much as I've seen Lilly over the years, I never saw her so talkative. Losing a pet is absolutely like losing a best friend. Take care & please let me know if there is anything I can do. Your life seems to be a bit stressful right now. Maybe you will get that tenure soon & can relax a little. Take care & my deepest sympathies for you loss.
    Cindy T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our thoughts are with you in this difficult time. Never had a cat here, but any pet leaves a hole in your heart when they leave, so how different can it be no matter what species they are/ Lilly was a beautiful girl, and must have been a trooper to put up with the pugs! Hugs and Frenchie kisses to make you feel better :)

    Snorts-
    Brutus 8 Carmen (& mom Michelle)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear this :( I LOVE the pictures and, as someone who lost both her cats in a sad sudden way like this, I know there is nothing you can say. Cats have such a wonderful quiet presence that is deeply noticed when it's missing. I'll be thinking of you tons and tons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Stacy! We're so sorry to hear that Lilly crossed the Bridge today. I'm sure the sadness won't go away any time soon, but we're pretty sure she had a GREAT princessy life with you!
    ((((((HUGS)))))))

    Love,
    Laura, Kevin, Holden and Salinger

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure Lilly knew how much she was loved. You gave her a great life and that's all she could have asked for.

    It's never easy letting go. Know that Lilly is at the bridge surrounded by love and friendship. She will be missed but never forgotten.

    Stubby xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Stacy.......I'm very sorry to hear this. Yes, we love pugs, but cats are one of a kind. They just can't be compared to anyone else in the animal kingdom (that includes humans!).

    Thank you for seeing her though to the end. It is so very hard but the greatest final gift you can give a pet.

    Love,

    Sarah, Hank and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Stacy,

    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I know that Lilly was a blessed cat to be surrounded by your love and care.

    You are in my thoughts...Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank god I keep tissue beside my computer. I completely understand what you are experiencing. Eyes are leaking!

    I am so sorry for your loss of Lily. She was very fortunate to have found you in the last few years of her life. She is most certainly watching you from above. Death is never easy but she is not gone, her spirit still remains with you. It has been 11 years since I lost my little orange boy named Teakin. He may be gone physically but he has never left me spiritually.

    you are in our prayers during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Stacy~

    We are so sorry too hear about your loss~

    We send our love, thoughts and pawrayers to you~

    Lilly is, was and forever will be your angel~

    Much Love,
    Katy, Izzy, Josie and Anakin Man

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are sorry Lilly has gone and we wish you many hugs.

    Sequoia and Tuni and Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Miss Stacy, I am not sure how I missed this post earlier.

    I am so, so sorry for your loss. What a pretty girl she was! I feel certain that Lily's days with you were carefree and sweet... just as they should be. You gave her the love and security that she deserved.

    Sending hugs your way.

    -Kelly & Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry Lilly has passed away. You did a good thing in helping her pass, so that she wouldn't suffer further. And even better that you stayed with her so that she knew love to the very end. I'm sorry her life with you was short, but you made her last years the best years of her life. Find comfort in knowing that you made her life better. Maybe she's on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge chattering at our Tootsie, who loved her feline siblings and passed over a week ago. RIP Princess Lilly!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment :)