Saturday, February 6, 2010

Radioactive





Bone is my first pet and I adopted him during my graduate school days. I adopted Bones on Feb 7th of 1997 so he's getting pretty old but he's doing great. Happy Gotcha Day Bones! I did notice the past couple of years he's lost some muscle mass. I talked with the vet about it over the summer. Bones was due for a checkup so last week I took him in. He tested positive for hyperthyroidism. It's a very treatable condition. Three options, surgery, pills 2x a day or radioactive iodine therapy.

So my boy is going in the middle of the month to Purdue Univ Vet Hospital for radioactive iodine treatment. Basically they give him this treatment and then they watching him and wait for his radiation levels to go down safe enough to come home. He will be there for about 10 days to 2 weeks. The drive there, leaving him, and the two weeks will be hard. But in the long run he will be cured and won't have to take pills and I won't have to board him when I travel.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Gotcha Day Bones!

    Dem Bones, dem Bones, dem radioactive Bones... bol! We'll be keeping our paws crossed he goes through treatment okay and you don't miss him too much.

    Hugs,
    Stella, Gunther and Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Gotcha Day To The Soon To Be Radioakhtive Khat!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Gotcha Day!! Will keep him in our prayers.

    Pugs & Kisses,

    Yoda & Brutus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Gotcha Day! We'll be praying for a quick recovery Bones!

    (Btw - the cat in the box picture is what my feline sister, Aluna, looks like - her eyes go from blue to that creepy red/orange too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Gotcha Day, Bone!

    Good luck with your treatment!

    PS Hank and Molly REALLY like the last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Gotcha Day! :-) And looove the lolzcat!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment :)