Thursday, June 11, 2009

Shocking



Stacy here. So I get home today and let the pugs out. I walk out to Brutus and notice he's limping (back left foot). From the get go I'm thinking he got stung by something. So I try to look at it and find nothing. His foot is a bit swollen but not that much. After a few more minutes I decide to call the vet. In the meantime he's doing ok limping but otherwise in good spirts.

He goes into the front room and sits down. I walk over to pet him and notice he's peeing. Ok, so I then go get a towel and when he's done I try to move him and he's also pooped. Now I am concerned. He does not have accidents in the house. Vet still hasn't called back. I coax him outside. He's panting and just looks uncomefortable. He goes into the yard and sits/lays down and then at times tries to poop. At first some things come out, and then very little. Anyway, this goes on for 30 minutes.

In the meantime I'm thinking about giving him benadryl but also afraid in case it's not allergies. I had been taking water to him and he did drink a lot. Part of me wondered about a stroke b/c of the bathroom problems.

Vet finally calls! He was on a run and didn't feel his pager.

So he says it might be a slight anaphylactic reaction. Give him Benadryl.

I put two Benadryl in some soft food, no luck. He won't eat.

I then just put two Benadryl in his mouth. Luckily he didn't spit them out. They started dissolve and he started smacking and foaming a bit at the mouth. He manages to spit out one of them but half of the powder had made it into his system.

That must have made him feel better because within 5 minutes he's back to normal!

I then put another benadryl in food and bam, he ate it!

He's been fine ever since. Like nothing happened!

I have had so much go on in the past 2 weeks that I didn't even panic. Every day for the past 2 weeks after work or at work there has been something wrong, broken, needed fixing etc. When it rains it pours.

We had a great time at Pugapalooza but my friend that I brought hasn't sent the pics yet. I hope you all have a great Friday!

Anyone else ever have this happen with their Pug?

10 comments:

  1. Oh Stacy, I know that must have been really scary! I am so impressed that you did not panic, I am known for over-reacting. I've never experienced anything like that, but the fact that the Benadryl helped is very promising.

    Keep us posted on sweet Brutus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've nevfur had that happen to me BUT I do know that benadryl is a marvel!

    I do know of a few Sibe pals that turn into Tazmanian devils on it though!

    I'm glad it helped woo!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy, I am so glad that Brutus is OK. My heart was in my throat the whole time I was reading it until I got to the bottom...It was great getting to see you both Saturday!! Love, Auntie April

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, that sounds traumatic! I can't believe you didn't panic! Good job, though - it was probably the best thing you could have done. I've never had anything like that happen with mine, but your vet is probably right - just a kind of strange allergic reaction. Phew!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All hail Benadryl!! Glad to hear Brutus is doing ok. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how you managed to stay so calm during the whole thing . . . my mom would have freaked out and driven me to the Emergency Room right after the limping. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my goodness stacy!
    i am so glad brutus is feeling so much better!
    how scary is that?
    you are amazing! thank you for sharing the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a scary story! I've never had that happen with our pugs, but we have experienced allergic reactions where faces swelled up. Benadryl is definitely the best! I usually stick pills in marshmallows for our pugs. They LOVE marshmallows and don't even notice the pill. Of course, with the swollen face reaction, I've had to go with the shoving it down the throat method ;-)
    Glad Brutus is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a scare you must have had! We're glad to hear Benadryl saved the day - it helped me, Pearl, out this week. I was miserable with an infection.

    We're glad Brutus is feeling better.
    Pug love from,
    Pearl & Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stacy, honey....you musta been sweatin' like a whore on nickel night!

    That's purty scary. Glad to hear my buddy is doin' okay. Keep an eye on the ol' boy for me!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment :)