Wednesday, February 4, 2009

David



Mom here. I'm hijacking today. I don't think I've talked much about David. David is my colleague Tom's guide dog. Tom has a disease and started losing his vision in college. About 15 years ago he had his first guide dog Blake. Now he has David. When I took my current job (5 years ago) I learned quite a bit about service dogs.

David is a very goofy but loving black lab. One of his nicknames is "Gavid." He is also a very smart competent guide dog. After watching Tom, my colleague and friend, interact with David I started petting David and paying attention to him when I could. I mean this Dogs entire life is built around serving Tom and caring for him so he can function in life. How noble and loyal.

So over time David really grew on me. He and I both understand the line between work and fun. Although he greets me at times when he should be "working" It's fun to go over and visit Tom because I get to pet David. There have been times when I've went over just to pet David while Tom is working on the computer. I also enjoy traveling with them because I get to travel with David.

All of this was brought on by an article about another service dog Wessely. I can't imagine the loss.

I love working for Tom because he is a great colleague, mentor and friend. I guess I never realized the other benefit was being reminded how great Dogs are. I doubt I would have Brutus, if it weren't for David. I wanted to love and be loved in the same way David made me feel.

6 comments:

  1. Well, the waterworks are out in full effect after reading Wessely's story. And to think that you get to work so closely with such a brave man and his brave dog. What a blessing! Thanks for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That kid who owned Wessely lives in my 'hood!! He goes to the high school in my neighborhood's district - I read his story in our local paper last weekend, but I didn't know others knew about it. It also made me cry when I read it. I'm glad you found it and are sharing - I thought it was sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the mommy's girl friends trains service dogs. Those dogs are such dedicated and special animals. That story is so sad me and the mommy are both crying. RIP Wessely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post. I've never known anyone with a guide dog, but I can only imagine the loss would be great. David sounds awesome! I love labs. Shhh, don't tell Poley & Ruki.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the story about Wessely made mom cry. That is such a beautiful story. We are glad David is such a help to Tom and that he has made such an impact on your life.

    Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was such a nice post! We had a great time seeing you yesterday at Meetup! And we gave you an award! Check out our latest post to see it!
    Pug hugs and kisses!
    The Pug Posse

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment :)